OCHO Coconut Macaroons
There is nothing better than flaky, sweet, chunks of coconut, right? How about when you surround it with decadent organic dark chocolate? Our delicious Organic OCHO Coconut minis and candy bars have been taken to the next level, and can even be used to make Coconut Macaroons. Check out the recipe to see how you can make them at home!
Makes 20 Servings.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 (3 oz.) package cream cheese (room temperature)
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 ¼ cup shredded sweetened coconut (about 12 oz.)
- 1 ½ cup ½-inch pieces OCHO Coconut bars or minis (about 7 oz.)
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, cream cheese and butter in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla, almond extract and orange peel. Add flour mixture and mix just until combined. Stir in 2 ½ cups coconut. Add OCHO Coconut pieces and stir until combined.
- Spread 1 ¼ cups coconut onto a plate. Using 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie, roll dough into 1 ½-inch rounds. Roll each round in coconut. Arrange rounds 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake until cookies are puffed and coconut is light golden, about 35 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to racks; cool completely.
Optional: Stir chocolate in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Dip fork into melted chocolate and drizzle lines of chocolate across tops of cookies. Refrigerate cookies until chocolate sets, about 30 minutes.
(Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Refrigerate in airtight container.)
Serve cold or at room temperature.